SIXTH COLUMN

"History is philosophy teaching by example." (Lord Bolingbroke)

New Email Address: 6thColumn@6thcolumnagainstjihad.com.

Monday, April 03, 2006

WABOC, The New Hanoi Jane


WABOC is one of those "guy" acronyms that has been around slightly longer than dirt. It stands for "what a bunch of crap." And that crap is starting to hit the fan, so watch the lefties flee to avoid getting any on them. Since most anti-jihadists have probably read the transcript released by ABC, here are only some salient excerpts.

ABC News: Insurgents Justify Release of Jill Carroll in Web Tape


March 30, 2006 — - ABC News has found a video on an insurgent Web site showing U.S. reporter Jill Carroll before she was released by her captors in Iraq...Below is a partial translation of the video:


Voice in tape: What will you tell the American people?
Carroll: Well, first of all I want them to be able to understand, I want them to understand the Mujahedeen, truly. There are a lot of lies to come out of the American government, calling the Mujahedeen terrorists and other things and I think it's important that American people hear from me the Mujahedeen are only trying to defend their country.

This is only a jihad to stop an illegal and dangerous and deadly occupation so I think it's important that people see the Mujahedeen are people that we've seen in our entire history resisting an occupation trying to fight a foreign force in their land, it's their country and they have a right to fight for their own freedom so I want people to understand that it's not people that like to kill, not people that like violence but people who love their country, people who want to see their country free from an occupation and also I want them to understand that the situation in Iraq in general, how difficult it is here, people don't have electricity, people don't have water, children don't have safe streets to walk in, women and children are always in danger.

People are killed left and right on the streets without any reason. People die everyday from the bombings and shootings of the army and all these things. So I think people need to understand in America how difficult life is here for the normal, average Iraqis. That everyday is a matter of survival, life and death for most Iraqis and thousands and thousands and tens of thousands of Iraqis have lost their lives here because of the occupation.

I think Americans need to think about that and day to day how difficult life is here, how terrifying it is for most people to live here everyday because of the occupation.

Voice: Do you think the Mujahedeen will win against the American Army?
Carroll: Oh definitely. Things are very clear to see even now they're already winning. Everyday there are soldiers killed. Everyday humvees are blown up. Helicopters are shot down from the skies. Everyday, it's very clear that the Mujahedeen have the skills and the ability and the desire and the good reasons to fight that'll make them ensure that they will win.


Voice: What do you feel now that the Mujahedeen are giving you your freedom while there are still women in Abu Ghraib living in very bad (unclear)?
Carroll: Well, I feel guilty honestly. I've been here, treated very well, like a guest.

I've been given good food, never, never hurt while those women are in Abu Ghraib. Terrible things are happening to them with the American soldiers are torturing them and other things I don't want, I can't even say, so I feel guilty and I also feels it shows the difference between the Mujahedeen and Americans, the Mujahedeen are merciful and kind that's why I'm free and alive.

The American army they aren't [...not clear...] I feel guilty and I also feel that it just shows that Mujahedeen are good people, fighting an honorable fight, a good fight while the Americans are here as an occupying force treating the people in a very, very bad way so I can't be happy totally for my freedom, there are people still suffering in prisons and very difficult situations.



Tomorrow morning is when the Talking Pundit Heads are let out of the asylum to descend like returning salmon onto the network news interview shows. Want to take bets who will be the first to EXCUSE Carroll for any number of reasons, not the least to declare her a victim of disease--the Stockholm Syndrome? Step right up because all bets end as the Sunday news shows come on.

Let me step up. What I write will not show up in liberal or conservative blogs and certainly not in the main stream media, whether print, internet, or broadcast. The words of Jill Carroll are not some mental condition. This is not "Stockholm Syndrome." It is treason. We have Hanoi Jane reincarnated. I am not sure that this classic Leftist pap Carroll spouts differs in any way from the pap she spouted before capture.

How about a new pool? Who, if anyone, in our gutless government will dare to call it treason or dare even to try to prosecute Carroll for it? No rush on this one. You can measure the progress of this pool by clocking glacial movement.

One last bet. Want to take odds on the entire Carroll Caper having been contrived from the very first?

14 Comments:

  • At Sat Apr 01, 05:36:00 PM PST, Blogger John Sobieski said…

    Now she is taking it all back. We'll see who is the real Jill. Personally I don't trust a thing she says.

     
  • At Sat Apr 01, 05:36:00 PM PST, Blogger Michael Neibel said…

    I just heard that Jil Carroll said she was coerced. If so, if this is not a 4/1 joke, I appologize for junping on her about her remarks.

     
  • At Sat Apr 01, 06:28:00 PM PST, Blogger Alexander Wolfe said…

    Oh no Mike...you should've left your comment from above, so anybody stumbling across this blog could see you accuse her of being a traitor, and selling out her country, while being forced to make statements surrounded by men with guns. I mean honestly, you guys didn't know that people tend to say whatever they're told to say when they're surrounded by their armed captors and their lives are threatened? I never thought some of you on the right were dumber than those on the left, but you're not doing much to help yourselves out on this one.

     
  • At Sun Apr 02, 06:12:00 AM PDT, Blogger Mark said…

    I have heard that she has 'reverted' to Islam. Is this true?

     
  • At Sun Apr 02, 06:27:00 AM PDT, Blogger Mark said…

    Have just read this at Jihad Watch about her. It seems that it was a hoax. Perhaps now we'll see the real Jill Carroll.

     
  • At Sun Apr 02, 07:12:00 AM PDT, Blogger Cubed © said…

    I sincerly hope that Jill isn't a carbon copy of those other people recently rescued from capture.

    What bothers me is not so much what she said while still held by her captors, but what she said after she was freed, and talking while (presumably) safe and secure.

    I will certainly await more details, but whether due to Stockholm Syndrome, fear, or disingenuiness, I'm not sure which of her words to take her by.

     
  • At Sun Apr 02, 08:29:00 AM PDT, Blogger George Mason said…

    To All:

    If I am proved wrong, I will freely admit so in writing in this blog, as a blog, not a comment buried somewhere a la NY Times. This woman prior to capture was Rachel Corrie lite. The published transcript was simply right off her standard leftist script. Now she is home and knows damned well that she faces a fire storm potentially. Not only would I expect her to change her tune, but I would expect those of the left, as one commenter above, to run in with all the whitewash they can find.

    Am I being cynical about this? Yes, I am. I might be wrong, but I will wait to see this situation played out. But, scratch a leftie and uncover a leftie...

    Thanks to all for your comments.

     
  • At Sun Apr 02, 03:04:00 PM PDT, Blogger Always On Watch said…

    I am cynical too, but I want to share this excerpt from the Washington Times:

    "I'm so happy to be free and am looking forward to spending a lot of time with my family. I want to express my deep appreciation to all the people who worked so long and hard for my release. I am humbled by the sympathy and support expressed by so many people during my kidnapping.

    "In the past few days, the U.S. military and officials have been extremely generous, and I am grateful for their help. Throughout this ordeal, many U.S. agencies have committed themselves to bringing me safely home...."

    "Things that I was forced to say while captive are now being taken by some as an accurate reflection of my personal views. They are not. The people who kidnapped me and murdered Alan Enwiya are criminals, at best. They robbed Alan of his life and devastated his family. They put me, my family and my friends -- all those around the world who have prayed so fervently for my release -- through a horrific experience. I was, and remain, deeply angry with the people who did this.

    "I also gave a TV interview to the Iraqi Islamic Party shortly after my release. The party had promised me the interview would never be aired on television, and they broke their word. At any rate, fearing retribution from my captors, I did not speak freely. Out of fear I said I wasn't threatened. In fact, I was threatened many times.

    "Also, at least two false statements about me have been widely aired: That I refused to travel and cooperate with the U.S. military and that I refused to discuss my captivity with U.S. officials. Again, neither is true.

    "I want to be judged as a journalist, not as a hostage. I remain as committed as ever to fairness and accuracy -- to discovering the truth -- and so I will not engage in polemics. But let me be clear: I abhor all who kidnap and murder civilians, and my captors are clearly guilty of both crimes...."


    I have seen a few articles in the CS Monitor which do not whitewash Islam.

    It will be interesting to check the various networks on this story. All were carrying Jill Carroll's statements which were supportive of her kidnappers. Now, will all those networks tell this second version, which is not so flattering to her captors?

     
  • At Sun Apr 02, 03:06:00 PM PDT, Blogger Always On Watch said…

    ABC News mentioned the story, but gave it short shrift, nothing like previous coverage.

     
  • At Mon Apr 03, 08:25:00 AM PDT, Blogger George Mason said…

    AOW:

    All that I can do right now is wait. Everyone, including Jill, is in a "honeymoon"-like phase, and my comments sound terribly calloused. It is too soon to know.

    Frankly, I have no objection to being wrong or saying so publicly. This time, at least, I would love to see that Jill had an epiphany and discovered the existential meaning of being American, if not the principled meaning, unlike the Christian Peace Movement hostages.

    When I used "whitewash," I did not mean the Christian Science Monitor, since I know nothing about this newspaper. I meant that I expected the journalistic left, print and broadcast, doing their damnedest to whitewash Jill. To do so, they would become very uncurious and bury whatever they find that does not fit their agenda. I meant that I expect to see that as somewhat widespread phenomena.

     
  • At Mon Apr 03, 09:13:00 AM PDT, Blogger Always On Watch said…

    George Mason,
    I know that you are a person of integrity and will admit if you're wrong. We certainly do not yet know the full story.

    Just a bit I heard this morning on one or another news channel...The possibility that Jill Carroll has suffered a nervous breakdown. Maybe that was speculation, maybe not. No way to know for sure at this time.

    I have to share with you an idiotic thing I heard on FNC, on either Sunday or Saturday....A diet expert said that Jill Carroll's face had gotten round and the idiot expert also said, "I hope that she'll eat properly and lose some weight, now that she's been released." Arrggghhhhh!!!! As if Jill Carroll's weight has a damn thing to do with this story.

     
  • At Mon Apr 03, 09:33:00 AM PDT, Blogger George Mason said…

    AOW:

    Thanks for your comments. I had not heard that Jill had a "nervous breakdown." If my years as a psychiatrist still stand me stead, then I failed to see any evidence of it as she trekked from there to here. She looked quite intact and in control. Post traumatic stress disorder would not be evident, if it exists for her.

    That "expert" commenting on her round face cracks me up. Jill is 28, and I assume still having menstrual cycles. Many women "round up" a touch briefly during some of these cycles. ANYWAY, what a pathetically trivial level of concern. Reminds me of a "For Better or Worse" cartoon in the Sunday funnies years ago. The married couple were spatting, and he was feeling his grip on the win slipping, so he came forth with the worst thing he could say: "Well, your geraniums are dusty!"

     
  • At Mon Apr 03, 03:45:00 PM PDT, Blogger Always On Watch said…

    George Mason,
    I just found this. You may already have seen it.

     
  • At Tue Apr 04, 05:39:00 AM PDT, Blogger Mark said…

    Interesting article, that, Always.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home