SIXTH COLUMN

"History is philosophy teaching by example." (Lord Bolingbroke)

New Email Address: 6thColumn@6thcolumnagainstjihad.com.

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

To the Grateful, and Particularly the Ungrateful


We received this email this morning. It speaks for itself eloquently.

Dear PFA Supporter,



When my son, Michael, left for Iraq, America was united in our determination to defeat the terrorists. We all supported the mission.

Sadly, some Americans - fueled by a steady diet of media negativism - seem to have lost our resolve.

Michael died on January 24, 2005 fighting for a cause he believed in. I know for a fact that he believed the cause was honorable because he told me so when he wrote a personal credo that explained,

"I want to carve out a niche for myself in the history books. I want to be remembered for the things I accomplished. I sometimes dream of being a soldier in a war. In this war I am helping to liberate people from oppression. In the end there is a big parade and a monument to immortalize us in stone. Other times I envision being a man you see out of the corner of your eye, dressed in black fatigues, entering a building full of terrorists. After everything is completed I slip out the back only to repeat this the next time that I am called. I might not be remembered in that scenario, but I will have helped people."

The mainstream media may have lost faith in the mission, but I haven't forgotten that Michael - who's friends called him Shrek - died to "liberate people from oppression."




I am hopeful that the media will use Iraqi Liberation Day on April 9th to remember all of the good things Michael and our troops have done in Iraq. You can also help going to www.FamiliesUnitedMission.com/letter and signing a letter encouraging the media to remember this historic milestone.

I believe that if enough of us join together and speak out we can make sure that our servicemen and women abroad today know just how much we support them and their mission. Please visit www.FamiliesUnitedMission.com/letter and forward this letter to your friends; April 9th is just around the corner, so please act now.

Sincerely,

Merrilee Carlson, Shrek's Mom


Gold Star Mother and Chair of Minnesota Families United


St. Paul, Minnesota

3 Comments:

  • At Wed Apr 05, 07:29:00 PM PDT, Blogger Always On Watch said…

    I expect that the media won't make much of April 9.

    But I recall the exhilaration I felt when that statue fell. At the time, my class was reading T.S. Eliot's "The Hollow Men." The drew many parallels with that statue, of course.

     
  • At Thu Apr 06, 05:04:00 PM PDT, Blogger George Mason said…

    AOW: I love the "hollow man" parallel. Terrific integration for those kids with the world. Alas, I think you are right about our fourth estate. Doesn't that old French name fit them better than "free press"? It is reason, rights, capitalism and freedom, with its economic hyperdynamo that made it possible for these white-collar sidewinders even to have a job. Talk about biting the hand.

    In any case, this is a start, and what makes it so great is that it started by the "rabble" like us.

    To Bxrgirl: Your sentiments are so "right on." In case there is any confusion, we did not originate this email. The dead soldier's mother did. We support, but we cannot take from her any more than she has already lost by claiming anything but reprint credit.

    To Armand: They do, and you do, since you feel that way, and that is a set of deep feelings. Thank you.

     
  • At Mon Apr 17, 10:02:00 AM PDT, Blogger George Mason said…

    Alise:

    I am tardy responding. Please accept my apologies.

    Your note cuts right to the heart of the matter. You do not need to be out front with them. They really need people like you to "stand behind them in support of their mission and in appreciation of their sacrifice." Knowing that you are there makes all the difference to them.

    Many, many thanks.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home